Donsuemor French Almond Cakes combined with fresh strawberries make for a refreshing and delicious bite-sized dessert.
Servings: makes 12 bite-sized tarts
12 Donsuemor French Almond Cakes (financiers)
2 cups whole milk
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits at room temperature
For Pastry Cream:
- Bring the milk to a boil in a small saucepan.
- In a medium sized saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch until it is well combined and thick. Continue to whisk while you pour in 1/4 cup of the hot milk (you are tempering the eggs).
- Pour in the remainder of the milk while constantly whisking. Place the pan over medium heat, and continue to whisk while the mixture comes to a boil. Continue at a boil while still whisking for another 1 to 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract or paste and let the cream sit for about 5 minutes before whisking in the bits of butter. Stir until the butter bits are fully incorporated and the cream is shiny and smooth.
- Transfer the cream to a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the cream to prevent a skin from forming. Place in refrigerator until the cream has completely cooled.
- Cut stems off of strawberries. With the cut side down, cut a deep ‘x’ into the tip of the strawberry, being careful not to cut all the way through the strawberry. Spread the end slightly.
- Using a pastry bag with any type of medium sized start tip, pipe pastry cream around the top of the financier in a circle. Place a strawberry on top of the pastry cream, then place the tip of the pastry bag inside of the strawberry and fill with pastry cream.
- For best appearance, serve as soon as they are prepared, but they can be stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve them.